top of page
  • Writer's pictureDrei Times Product & Lifestyle Blog

The Safe Use of Dreibolt Silica Gel Around Pets: Myths and Facts

Updated: Dec 6, 2023


When it comes to keeping our homes dry and free from dampness, silica gel packs are a popular choice. They’re commonly found in product packaging to absorb excess moisture and keep the contents dry. However, if you’re a pet owner, you might have heard conflicting information about the safety of using silica gel around your furry friends. Let’s clear up some of the myths and lay out the facts about using silica gel safely around pets.

Myth 1: Silica Gel is Highly Toxic to Pets This is probably the most common misconception about silica gel packs. In reality, the silica gel itself is not toxic. It is a form of silicon dioxide, a naturally occurring mineral. If a pet were to ingest a small amount of silica gel, it would likely pass through their system without causing harm.

Fact 1: The Packet Material Can Be a Choking Hazard While the silica gel itself is not toxic, the packet it comes in can pose a choking hazard, especially for small pets. If a pet were to chew on or swallow a silica gel packet, it could potentially lead to choking or an intestinal blockage. It’s important to keep these packets out of reach of pets to prevent any accidents.

Myth 2: All Silica Gel Packs Contain Toxic Additives Some people believe that all silica gel packs contain toxic additives that can harm pets. While it’s true that some silica gel packs are treated with indicators that change color when the gel is saturated, these indicators are typically present in very small amounts. The most common indicator, cobalt chloride, has been largely phased out due to its toxicity and replaced with safer alternatives.


Fact 2: Some Silica Gel Packs Can Be Harmful if Ingested in Large Quantities While the occasional small silica gel pack is unlikely to cause harm if ingested, consuming large quantities of the gel or the packets can lead to serious health issues. Ingesting large amounts of silica gel can lead to dehydration, as the gel absorbs moisture from the gastrointestinal tract. Additionally, if a pet were to eat a large number of packets, the material could cause an intestinal blockage.

Myth 3: Silica Gel Packs Are Only Dangerous if Eaten Some pet owners believe that silica gel packs are only a danger if their pet eats them. However, the dust from silica gel packs can also be harmful if inhaled. Inhaling silica dust can lead to respiratory issues, especially in pets with pre-existing respiratory conditions.



Fact 3: Safe Storage is Key The key to safely using silica gel packs around pets is to store them securely and out of reach. If you’re using silica gel packs to protect your belongings from moisture, make sure they are placed in a location where your pets can’t get to them. If you find a damaged pack, dispose of it immediately to prevent your pet from coming into contact with the contents.


In conclusion, while silica gel packs are a useful tool for preventing moisture damage, it’s important to use them safely around pets. Keep them out of reach, dispose of damaged packs promptly, and if you suspect your pet has ingested a large amount of silica gel, contact your veterinarian immediately. With proper precautions, you can enjoy the benefits of silica gel packs without putting your furry friends at risk.



9 views0 comments

Comments


Dreibolt Renewable Dehumidifier

bottom of page